Terms & Conditions

Terms & Conditions


Package rates are subject to change without prior notice. Booking Amount will be Nonrefundable. . Service Tax shall be applicable over and above the package prices. . In case of unavailability in the given hotels, alternate accommodation will be made in a hotel of similar standard. . A maximum of 3 adults are allowed in one room. The third occupant shall be provided a mattress/roll away bed. . Booking will only be entertained in case of availability on D-5 basis. . Any amendments in Air tickets like Date Change, Name Change, Change in timings or airlines will lead to penalty as per Airlines policy. . Flight tickets are not blocked at the time of sharing the quote and rates may vary at the time of actual booking (post receiving advance payment), difference in amount will be borne by customer. . Entrance, Activity, Museum charges etc are not included in package unless specifically stated in Inclusions section. . The above package is not valid during national holidays, festivals & long weekends (Black Out dates). . Any unused services of the package will not be adjusted or refunded. . Transportation/Car service will be offered point to point as per the itinerary and not on disposal basis. . No rooms are blocked at the time of sharing quote & same will be confirmed

post receiving payments. . All given rates are on per person basis. . In case of amendments in Guest count there will be difference in package price on per person. . Meals other than specified in inclusions above will not be part of the package cost. . A/C will not be operational on an Hilly areas. . In case of natural calamities and force major circumstances which lead to change in itinerary, change in hotel and other services the customer will have to bear the cost. . Refund on cancellation strictly depends upon the cancellation policy. . Airlines are available with Nonrefundable fares which has to be cross checked with your Sales rep at the time of quotation. . Car service will not be provided on leisure days/free days. . If your flights involve a combination of different airlines we will not be held responsible in case of any missing/cancellation or any other changes from airlines end. . In case of any misshaping on ground (Due to transporter/Any third party operator) We will be there to support you in best possible way but won’t be held responsible for it. . Booking will be non refundable in case booked within 15 days of departure. . Any modification on tour has to be paid directly to the vendor/hotel before the tour ends. . Special payment/cancellation policy will be applicable during peak period.

Payment Policy

You need to make an advance payment as per the specific package terms at the time of confirming the tour and make the balance payment as per the payment conditions of the package. The Company shall be within its rights to forfeit the non-refundable interest free deposit paid by the client to the company along with the prescribed booking form duly completed for the tour booked by the client. In the event the client cancels the booking or on failure on the part of the client to adhere to the tour payment schedule as informed in the documentation check-list or in the event unable to travel on the tour booked by the client due to any reason whatsoever, including medical ground or sickness, the non-refundable interest free deposits shall stand forfeited, and the scale of cancellation set out in the ‘How To Book’ section of the brochure shall be applicable and binding. Booking Period Payment to be done More than 15 days of departure 25% of the land package . Remaining 25% before 15 days of departure Within 15 days of departure 50% Payment

at booking creation . And the Remaining 50% At the Time of Check In the Hotel
Cancellation Policy


CANCELLATION POLICY The refund will be in the same currency used in the payment and at no interest. The company does not assume responsibility forthedifferencethelocalcurrencyvalueduetofluctuation of exchange rates. Processing of cancellation must be done by formally writing to the Company. The request will be acted on in a working day except Sat/Sun and national holidays.

Cancellation timelines and Deduction 60-30 days pr-travel date 25% amount will be deducted of total package cost 30-15 days pr-travel date 50% amount will be deducted of total package cost 15-7 days pr- travel date 75% amount will be deducted of total package cost Less than 7 days pr-travel date No refund.